Attention Guild Wars Megathread v3.0 [3rd YEAR OF GUILD WARS WOO] (Read 6614 times)

• Will you walk the realms of Chaos with me?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Guild Wars is a CCORPG (Cooperative Competitive Online Role Playing Game) made by ArenaNet. It is their first game.

Here is what makes Guild Wars unique:
*Free to Play game with quality of Pay to Play games in the MMORPG genre
*PvE actually has a storyline, with cinematics etc. And pretty awesome Voice Actor's too!
*Indepth FAIRLY OK balanced PvP which is pretty simple to learn, but very hard to master.
*There is little to no forced grind. (and grinding doesn't give you much of a benefit (and if it does its only in PvE) over players.)
*: The max level is 20, but its really easy to get there, and once you reach it thats where the game actually STARTS cause the difficulty and cool quests and shit kick in.
*8 slot Skill Bar. You can change skills in towns and there is like ~1000 of skills too, so yeah.

Current Players on GamingW:
HL
Raziel
spacelion
lord_scott_
warv
nikuru
goldenratio
farah
Eric
Severus
Rowain

So this is a topic to ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAME / DISCUSS / ETC

EDIT: thehunter has trial keys if you need some.
Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:34:03 am by HL
  • Blackman the Game: 0% complete
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
How much is it to play these a month?

Also this makes me miss Hiretsukan. I remember helping him apply for his job there.

Hat stealing emu-creature..... *sigh*

edit: oh the top of your first post says free. is that right?
  • sea of vodka
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Also this makes me miss Hiretsukan. I remember helping him apply for his job there.

you buy it, and after that there's no cost.  like diablo or whatever.  or as darknecrid would call it........p2b///f2p

also he is still around all the time but i am 99% sure he does not work there anymore.

you buy them and its completely free (except for other chapters+expansions/stuff you can buy in the online store which is just ADDITIONAL CHARACTER SLOTZ at this point)

and hiret did get the job, but he quit awhile ago.

EDIT: Oh yeah and here is a video of some okay Guild Wars PvP this is 4v4 Random Arenas (randomly made teams)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omkee9b4XyY
Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:35:56 pm by DarkNecrid
  • Epic Hero
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah, last I checked Hiret was working on IMVU.

I've been kind of interested in Guild Wars for awhile, but I haven't really had the free time to dive into it (other games are always coming out and sucking up my time, so I don't get around to trying some of these older games).  It seems like a neat idea, and I think the core design of an MMO that doesn't revolve around a payment scheme has every chance of being fundamentally better.
Well to me, I like how even though the game is B2PF2P, they still managed to keep the grind 99% optional, and grinding doesnt give a bonus / a very dumb or low bonus (YOUR LOCKPICKS BREAK LESS). Max level is easy to reach and thats where the game really begins! (by the time you're level 20 there is still like 70% of the game to go in Prophecies)

Also they have a fantastic server, their server like...NEVER goes down. They dont have to do weekly 6 hour maintence or anything. I think the server has been up and stable for like a year now with no down time, and it is like that even when they pull in lots of people during holiday events like right now too. (I think Lions Arch is up to 64 American districts, which is like 4096 people all in the same CITY)

EDIT:
So I went to see Mad King Thorn who is an NPC who hands out Halloween gifts today, every 3 hours, and there was a total of 140 Districts in America/Europe/International combined, which is 8960 people in the same place!!
Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:07:44 pm by handsome lamb
  • 2nd oldest Crestfallen Few
  • PipPip
Ahh Mad King Thorn always brings in the good times.
tnodekatemittuoforuoyefilotedocedsiht
Ahh Mad King Thorn always brings in the good times.

Definately!

I got my Mummy Mask...it looks ugly on me :)
  • PipPip
Here are some pictures of my travels into the Eye of the North.

Ok so I don't have as many pictures as I thought I did...
  • FIFTY FIFTY FIFTY
If I just buy the original, what am I missing out on? Will I hate it, or will I be able to do a lot of cool stuff up until the point where SORRY YOU CANT GO THIS WAY UNTIL YOU BUY X EXPANSION
  • PipPipPipPip
If I just buy the original, what am I missing out on? Will I hate it, or will I be able to do a lot of cool stuff up until the point where SORRY YOU CANT GO THIS WAY UNTIL YOU BUY X EXPANSION
there's nothign like "you can't go to x part" in any campaign. all the campaigns are separate, but you CAN take a high level character from one campaign to another through quests. only things you will be missing out on will be the new skills added in those expansions, Heroes, being able to join a faction and such things.

you can still enjoy the game if you buy Prophecies or Factions or any other expansion just by itself though.
"If evil truly exists, it has been bred from the heart of men."
"Humans are lone animals living in society."
  • FIFTY FIFTY FIFTY
oh ok, they are all standalone but you can link characters between them? interesting.........

kinda like cov/coh then

well the original is still the cheapest so i think i will try that one

edit: actually ebay has a cheap copy of factions, so one more thing: if you get factions but dont have the original, how many classes can you pick from? factions unlocks 2 more, but if you dont have the original can you only pick from those two or what?
Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 09:34:09 pm by Jester
  • PipPipPipPip
oh ok, they are all standalone but you can link characters between them? interesting.........

kinda like cov/coh then

edit: actually ebay has a cheap copy of factions, so one more thing: if you get factions but dont have the original, how many classes can you pick from? factions unlocks 2 more, but if you dont have the original can you only pick from those two or what?
you can pick all 7
"If evil truly exists, it has been bred from the heart of men."
"Humans are lone animals living in society."

kinda like cov/coh then

You get the core 6 + Assassin Ritualist.

Jester, I do have a trial key as I said at the end of my first post if you would like to try it out? See if you like it etc?

EDIT: I really recommend Prophecies first btw. Its the most new player friendly.

But each campaign is stand-alone yes, but if you connect them your characters from a campaign can travel to another campaigns areas and do its stuff too.

WarV: Awesome! Cyndr was a bitch. We need to group for some dungeons or do Hard Mode sometime.

EDIT:
Oh yeah

Prophecies = Longest storyline, most content (argueably) from the get go, very long to level 20
Factions = shortest storyline, more high end content than Prophecies, easy to get to Level 20
Nightfall = inbetween of the above 2
Eye of the North = don't worry about this for now
Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 11:49:02 pm by DarkNecrid
  • FIFTY FIFTY FIFTY
Oh, I didn't see that bit about the trial key. That'd be pretty good, as I dunno if I'll like it at all and just wanted to get the cheapest one to try it.

So yeah, that'd be really awesome, thanks!
Oh, I didn't see that bit about the trial key. That'd be pretty good, as I dunno if I'll like it at all and just wanted to get the cheapest one to try it.

So yeah, that'd be really awesome, thanks!

Alright, I'll PM you the details and info and links and shit tomorrow or Monday. I'd be up for grouping with you if you choose to try out Prophecies first in the trial as well if you'd like.
  • PipPip
In my opinion I would go for Nightfall unless you plan on buying them all at one point. If you just want one Nightfall is the best for the fact that it has alot of powerful skills and it has heros. You also get Paragons and Dervs unlocked which are great classes.

Becarful on buying it from ebay since when you buy Guild Wars you are really buying a CD-key for an account. You can download the client online from the Guild Wars main site, but you need a key in order to actually play in factions. If someone already used the key then your SOL.

Also EotN is not $50 when I bought it. I think you need to check out the price.
In my opinion I would go for Nightfall unless you plan on buying them all at one point. If you just want one Nightfall is the best for the fact that it has alot of powerful skills and it has heros. You also get Paragons and Dervs unlocked which are great classes.

Becarful on buying it from ebay since when you buy Guild Wars you are really buying a CD-key for an account. You can download the client online from the Guild Wars main site, but you need a key in order to actually play in factions. If someone already used the key then your SOL.

Also EotN is not $50 when I bought it. I think you need to check out the price.

The prices are estimates you're going to find different prices at every different retailer everywhere, so...
  • FIFTY FIFTY FIFTY
I played the 10 hour trial DN gave me and I did the first 3 or 4 missions in Prophecies. It's pretty cool.

The controls are very, very weird if you are used to other MMOs. You can't jump, which I think is a huge setback for the interactivity in the world (you also can't fall off cliffs or anything like that), but the world itself is nice and detailed. The pretty areas are really pretty, and the drab areas are really depressing (which is good for atmosphere but bad because you actually get depressed and want to leave).

The gameplay is pretty good, for a MMO, anyway. You only have 8 skills at a time so you have to change and prepare them in towns before going out to fight things. You get like a zillion skills very very fast, too. It's more interesting in the actual fights, too. There are a lot of them, though. More than most MMOs, it feels like. Every corner presents 5 more scorpions to kill.

Apparently the game really starts at max level, which is really weird for me, but hey what are you gonna do. I think I'm gonna buy Prophecies and see how that works. If it's good even at level 20 I'll think about the others.
  • Chronic asshole syndrome
  • PipPipPipPip
Someone was actually just convincing me to try this game an hour or two ago and it looks pretty neat, i was trying to buy nightfall but the site isn't letting me.